Gov. Walz to Present 3-Step Process to END COVID RESTRICTIONS by May 28
Governor Walz will hold a press conference at 12:00 noon today to announce a three-step process that will lead to an end of COVID-19 restrictions by May 28, and an end to the masking requirement when 70% of Minnesotans 16+ are vaccinated – and by no later than July 1.
- Step One: On May 7, start with initial steps to relax some restrictions, primarily in outdoor settings. This will:
- Remove limits and distancing requirements for outdoor dining, events, and other get-togethers, and end the mask requirement outdoors, except at events with controlled access over 500 people. So unless you’re in a very large crowd at a formal event, you don’t need to wear a mask when you’re outside.
- Increase occupancy and group size for all indoor activities and events.
- Provide recommendations for fairs, parades, and other outdoor celebrations to highlight best practices to stay safe and make summer in Minnesota great.
- Step Two: On May 28, the Friday before Memorial Day, other limits, restrictions, and requirements will come to an end, including for indoor events and gatherings. Three requirements will remain:
- Face coverings indoors and for the largest outdoor events with controlled access.
- Businesses will have plans that keep their employees safe – as they have from the beginning of the pandemic – guided by a simple universal state guidance document that will include no new requirements.
- Key consumer protections will remain in place.
- Step Three: Once 70% of Minnesotans aged 16+ get their vaccine – but no later than July 1 – the remaining face covering requirement and the requirement for business preparedness plans will end. While critical work on vaccines will continue, no requirements will remain.