New Apple Valley City Councilman Appointed Last Night
Thomas O. Melander (pictured) was selected in the first round of voting as the new Apple Valley City Councilman over 11 other candidates. He has served on the Apple Valley Planning Commission since 2005 and is Chairman of the Commission. Thomas is owner of TM Diversified Commercial Real Estate in Apple Valley and has worked selling and/or leasing multi-tenant commercial properties since 1982. He is a graduate of Carleton College and received his MBA from the College of St. Thomas. He is also 1 of 7 representatives of the Apple Valley Economic Development Authority (EDA), which new Mayor Clint Hooppaw is President of.
The Council position is appointed by City Council for vacancies. The vacancy occurred when former Mayor Mary Hamman-Roland was elected Dakota County Commissioner for District 7. Former Councilman Clint Hooppaw was then selected by City Council in January as Mayor to serve out two remaining years of the former Mayor’s term and thus creating the Council vacancy.
Others in the running were:
- JOHN DUSEK III: A longtime Chamber member, formerly owned the building behind Applebees with the giant tooth over the door, for decades owned owned Convergent Solutions (computer systems). He also was former President of Rotary.
- LINDA GARRETT-JOHNSON: Recently participated in our Chamber Candidate Forum, one of 7 going for 2 Council seats via the election, placed a close 3rd of the 7. Linda has organization development certification from Lean Six Sigma Business Process Consultancy. She was on 360 Communities Board.
- DAVID GOBLE: A substitute teacher, was previously involved with Head Start Policy Council in South Dakota.
- NOEL HAMMILL: An event promoter, 3 years on Apple Valley Cemetery Committee, 7 years on Apple Valley Parks & Recreation Advisory Committee.
- JOSEPH LANDRU: Recently participated in our Chamber Candidate Forum, one of 7 going for 2 open Council seats during the recent election, he is a direct sales manager and volunteer firefighter since 2001 and 38 year resident of Apple Valley.
- JOHNSON MADAMU: A senior software test engineer and was involved with urban planning in India.
- GLORIA MYRE: An attorney and Director of Alumni Engagement & Student Life at the University of St. Thomas, served on MN Legislative Salary Council, clerked at MN Supreme Court, was a citizen outreach liaison for MN Governor’s office.
- NANCY PARADEISE: A longtime Chamber member with Melaleuca, has spent much of her career with Special Olympics including being on Special Olympics Board of Directors, was at one time selected Mrs. Minnesota, has lived in Apple Valley for 33 years, well known on so many Chamber volunteer committees throughout her 20 years of involvement.
- HELAINE POWELL: An attorney who was Deputy District Attorney of the 9th Judicial District in Colorado.
- BECKY SANDAHL: Owns Rebeccca Clair Woodworking, is a stay at home mother.
- PAUL SCANLAN: Founder of a consulting firm providing individual coaching and strategy consulting to small and mid-sized businesses, also served on Apple Valley Planning Commission for over 10 years.