Who Is A Finalist for Apple Valley City Council Vacancy
Due to our former Mayor Mary being elected to County Commissioner, Apple Valley needed a new Mayor. When former Councilmember Clint Hooppaw was selected to become the Mayor of Apple Valley effective January 14, 2021, a vacancy on the City Council was created. To fill the vacancy, the City of Apple Valley accepted applications from citizens interested in being appointed to fill the remaining term of the Councilmember position. The term will expire on December 31, 2022. Here is the list of finalists (IN ALPHA ORDER):
- JOHN DUSEK III: A longtime Chamber member, formerly owned the building behind Applebees with the giant tooth over the door, for decades owned owned Convergent Solutions (computer systems). He also was former President of Rotary.
- LINDA GARRETT-JOHNSON: Recently participated in our Chamber Candidate Forum, one of 7 going for 2 Council seats via the election, placed a close 3rd of the 7. Linda has organization development certification from Lean Six Sigma Business Process Consultancy. She was on 360 Communities Board.
- DAVID GOBLE: A substitute teacher, was previously involved with Head Start Policy Council in South Dakota.
- NOEL HAMMILL: An event promoter, 3 years on Apple Valley Cemetery Committee, 7 years on Apple Valley Parks & Recreation Advisory Committee.
- JOSEPH LANDRU: Recently participated in our Chamber Candidate Forum, one of 7 going for 2 open Council seats during the recent election, he is a direct sales manager and volunteer firefighter since 2001 and 38 year resident of Apple Valley.
- JOHNSON MADAMU: A senior software test engineer and was involved with urban planning in India.
- TOM MELANDER: Currently Chair of Apple Valley Planning Commission, he is a commercial real estate broker and in his 24th year on Planning Commission, was involved with Lake Alimagnet HOA on our City’s West side.
- GLORIA MYRE: An attorney and Director of Alumni Engagement & Student Life at the University of St. Thomas, served on MN Legislative Salary Council, clerked at MN Supreme Court, was a citizen outreach liaison for MN Governor’s office.
- NANCY PARADEISE: A longtime Chamber member with Melaleuca, has spent much of her career with Special Olympics including being on Special Olympics Board of Directors, was at one time selected Mrs. Minnesota, has lived in Apple Valley for 33 years, well known on so many Chamber volunteer committees throughout her 20 years of involvement.
- HELAINE POWELL: An attorney who was Deputy District Attorney of the 9th Judicial District in Colorado.
- BECKY SANDAHL: Owns Rebeccca Clair Woodworking, is a stay at home mother.
- PAUL SCANLAN: Founder of a consulting firm providing individual coaching and strategy consulting to small and mid-sized businesses, also served on Apple Valley Planning Commission for over 10 years.